Saturday 24 March 2012

Atkins Diet First Month Finished- Lets Review

One month down and I guess it will most likely be the hardest one. Total weight loss to date is 3 kilos so I'm now 77 kilos.

I have completely cut out really high in starch foods such as white bread, potatoes, flour, pasta, rice and sugar. GO ME!

I did try a few low carb alternatives to these such as artificial sugar which is ....bearable.
Low carb pasta....which is not bearable I think that the better alternative is wholemeal or spinach pasta.
I am yet to try brown rice which is surprising I have gone my whole life and never had it. I have introduced rye bread but not daily and some whole grains cereal also not daily.
I tried a few lo carb "chocolate" bars these are disgusting I cant even describe how horrible they taste!
I also have introduced a piece of fruit a day from the end of week 3.

I could only manage 2 and 1/2 weeks in the introduction detox stage of the diet and didn't have earth moving results. Most people i feel will have a more successful result though.

Now I'm in a loose interpretation of phase 2 -what I mean by this is I am allowed some fruit in this phase. But I have any fruit I want not just the limited list of allowed fruits. I do only have one piece a day and have not yet let myself have watermelon which is a huge sacrifice.
I'm on 20~30 grams of net carbs a day [mostly] which is still in the very lo range. As I become more disciplined with exercise I can gradually add more and bring this up to 50~70 per day. As long as the majority of your carbs are always from vegetables, fruits and whole grains this is considered an ideal sustainable lifetime diet.  

The most notable change is in my face and fingers at the moment and my skin is looking clear. Which is great I mean who wants a fat face or fingers right!! Its unfortunate that in the first month when you make all the hard sacrifices you also have the least support because most people won't notice any changes in you.
I'm not sure that Atkins or a low carb diet is for everyone, but at the moment this is the one that appeals to me the most as carbs are my biggest weakness and I don't want to develop type 2 diabetes its too close as it is.  

I'll put up a couple of recipes that I like soon that are quick, healthy, low carb, cheap, and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment